Alternative Ways To Fight Acne

Alternative Ways to Fight Acne
By Mari Bozozo


As someone who has suffered from acne for the better part of her years, I can tell you, without
exaggeration, that I have tried countless products, methods, and treatments that yielded very
little if any results in the long run. My acne prevailed, right along with the mounting stress,
depression, and anxiety, to boot. From trying the latest and so-called greatest products
marketed specifically toward acneic skin, to the expensive prescriptions and treatments. I tried it
ALL. However, in the end, none of these “phenomenons” went the distance nor afforded the
longevity that I desperately sought. Yet and still, I tirelessly continued in my pursuit.
Recently, within the last year, I broke ground. I most certainly have to credit my knowledgeable
and resourceful esthetician with steering me in the right direction, by introducing me to a new
and innovative way to cleanse my face. Upon first telling me about it, I must admit that I thought
she was off her rocker! Who with acneic skin would even contemplate something like this? I’m
referring to the “Water Only” cleansing method. It’s exactly how it sounds. All you do is wash
your face with water. My esthetician suggested that I do this ideally in the mornings only. In the
evenings, she suggested that I cleanse with either a natural oil such as jojoba oil, a gel to oil
cleanser, or a gentle cleanser. Cleansers for acneic skin should be avoided, as they tend to be
super drying, thus stripping the skin and ultimately causing more acne. My cleanser of choice is
an everyday gentle cleanser. The logic behind the “Water Only” method is incredibly simple: If
your face is cleansed from the night before, why would you repeat the action in the morning?
Granted that you are not exposed to pollutants or wear makeup during the night, there should
be no reason why you’d need to wash your face again in the morning. All you’d need is a few
dousings of water, followed by a competent moisturizer, and you’d be good to go. Ever since I
incorporated this method into my routine, my skin has been calmer, smoother, and virtually
acne-free, sans a few clogged pores here and there. It turns out that the age-old adage, “less is
more” is true.
Using ice cubes is another effective tool in keeping my acne to a minimum. Since ice tends to
lean toward being an anti-inflammatory, in reducing swelling in common injuries, I thought to
apply ice cubes to my acne, also. After cleansing, I take an ice cube wrapped in a paper towel
and rub it all over my face until it dissolves. I pay particular attention to any susceptible or active
areas. I then pat my face dry, tone, and moisturize. With consistent use, I notice tighter pores
and less inflammation overall.
Believe it or not, a triple antibiotic ointment is excellent at reducing the appearance of acne, as
well. I’m an avid user of it and stand by this sentiment 100%. I tend to use it mostly as a spot
treatment but have also used it along my jawline as a preventative measure against hormonal
acne. Once in a while, I may get a cystic lesion either in this area or on my neck. Keeping this
ointment on hand ensures that they do not stick around for long. The active ingredients are
bacitracin zinc, neomycin sulfate, and polymixin B sulfate, all of which aid in drawing out
bacteria from a wound, thus preventing infection. When applied to acne, it acts in the same way,
drawing out the bacteria, while simultaneously reducing blemishes in size. I also apply 3%
hydrogen peroxide, giving it a few minutes to dry before applying the ointment.
Lastly, meditation may also assist you in keeping your acne at bay. When I meditate, it calms
my frazzled nerves and balances me out from all of the day’s stresses. As you know, there is a
direct correlation between stress and acne. At the very least, if it does nothing for your acne,
perhaps it will assist you in feeling better mentally and emotionally overall. The way I see it is
that you have nothing to lose, so you may as well give it a shot.
Have you tried any of the above to help clear or control your acne? If so, what were the results?
I’d love to hear from you, so please leave your comments below!
All the Best to you in your quest to have Happier & Healthier Skin!
Mari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Microdermabrasion Treatment

A Perspective on All This

Keeping Acne At Bay During The Summer

What About Men With Acne?