Acne Prescription Medicine- Is It Really Worth It?
By Mari Bozozo

As chronic acne sufferers, we’ve all been there at some point or another. After trying everything
under the sun to absolve ourselves of a seemingly lifetime sentence with this issue, in a fit of
despair, we go to a dermatologist with our proverbial fingers crossed in the hopes that we will
find a permanent solution, putting an end to our miseries. It would not be an exaggeration to say
that I have tried every medication imaginable and under the sun. From antibiotics such as
Tetracycline, Minocycline, and Dioxycycline, to the Vitamin A derivative Isotretinoin, I’ve
exhausted every possibility, and in vain, might I add. From experiencing antibiotic resistance,
allergic reactions, ineffectiveness, to downright playing Russian Roulette with my health on
account of the hazards involved, I had to wonder if any of it was truly worth it.
Take the Isotretinoin that I used, for example. I felt that for every day that I took it, I gambled
with my internal organs. I had to get a blood test every month to ensure that my liver functioned
properly while being on this drug. Instead of listing possible liver damage as a side effect, this
drug should have come with a Public Service Announcement through a megaphone stating that
it should be taken at one’s own risk. I’m joking. Well, kind of. I was perpetually concerned while
taking Isotretinoin. Sure, my skin cleared dramatically at one point. However, my skin became
so flaky that I had to use a highly hydrating soap to restore moisture. The peeling was horrid.
Once I stopped taking Isotretinoin, all of my acne came back. For it to only have been a
temporary fix, I could not justify using it at the expense of the cost nor my health. I also recall a
friend of mine who had taken Isotretinoin some years ago. Her side effects involved increased
depression and suicidal thoughts. She had been having a plethora of personal issues during
that time. This drug seemed to amplify her feelings of despondency. The fact that there have
been case studies examining the correlation between depression, suicidal thoughts, and
Isotretinoin is of no coincidence.
Might I add that while topical prescriptions perhaps seem to be less invasive than oral
prescriptions, they have proven to be useless for me, also. I quickly learned this by way of
excessively dry skin and episodic allergic reactions. Another dead end...
It is quite obvious that I am not a fan of prescription medicine. Once I established my feelings
about this, I set out to take on a more holistic approach in finding a solution for myself. My
journey began by consulting a Holistic Practitioner over a decade ago. Upon suspecting that my
acne was a result of a hormonal imbalance, she ordered a complete lab workup. Once my lab
results came back, it was concluded that a hormonal imbalance was indeed the culprit. I was
then strongly encouraged to do a two-week detox, which was facilitated by supplements that
were purchased at the office. I was also given a strict meal plan to follow that eliminated sugar,
trans fats, unhealthy oils, and empty calories. My diet was chock full of lean proteins,
vegetables, and healthy seeds and nuts. Was it easy? Absolutely not! But once I completed my
detox, not only did I feel 100 times better, I looked better, as my acne dissipated a great deal.
From that point going forward, I exclusively targeted acne from within. Instead of prescription
medicines, I began taking dietary supplements such as Chlorella, Flaxseed Oil, Probiotics, Raw
Vitamin B Complex, Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc. Instead of taking topical prescription
medicine, I opted to use gentle skin cleansers, natural toners, and moisturizers with a high SPF
count. A triple antibiotic ointment soon became my go-to for spot treatments. Drinking lots of
water quickly became a permanent staple in my regime, also. Learning to avoid foods that had
been proven to be aggravants further assisted me in reaching my goals. Consistent exercise
and meditation started to decrease my stress levels, which in turn decreased my breakouts. In
going this route and finding success with it, the use of any prescription would simply be illogical
for me. As the age-old adage goes, “Why fix it if it isn’t broken?”
What’s you take on taking prescription medicine for acne? I’d love to hear from you. Please
leave your comments below.
All the Best to you in your Quest to have Happier & Healthier Skin!
Mari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Microdermabrasion Treatment

Alternative Ways To Fight Acne

A Perspective on All This

Keeping Acne At Bay During The Summer

What About Men With Acne?