Stress and Acne

Stress and Acne
By Mari Bozozo

I’ll never forget that day that I was in the checkout line at a local discount retailer over a decade
ago. The cashier, although seemingly pleasant, fell very short where boundaries and proper
etiquette were concerned. Why do I say that you ask? As I loaded my items onto the counter, he
pointed to his face and uttered, “You’re breaking out.” Like the thought never crossed my mind.
Like I didn’t obsess over my appearance for umpteen times during a given day. Like I needed a
total stranger to point out the all too obvious to me, in front of other strangers, to boot! Aside
from feeling grossly offended, appalled, mortified, and ashamed, I was flabbergasted to think
that some random person, a professional at that, would have the proverbial balls to say that to
me. While I can’t recall what my exact rebuttal was (honestly, what could I rebut, as the
evidence was literally all over my jawline) I knew that I’d hit an all-time new low. And stress was
unequivocally the culprit. During that time, I was in a rather unhappy, unfulfilling relationship that
posed a number of hardships onto me. To put it bluntly, that part of my life felt as though it were
in the gutter. Naturally, the remnants of that gutter manifested in the form of cystic acne- the
worst form of acne that I’d ever suffered. It looked like a volcano had erupted along my left and
right jawlines. Applying makeup would have proven to be an exercise in futility. I still shudder to
think that this atrocity was conceived from uncontrolled stress.
Stress can do irreparable things to the body. Not only can chronic stress lead to issues such as
high blood pressure, abnormal weight gain/loss, mood swings, anxiety, and depression, if left
untreated, it can lead to far more serious problems such as cancer. So what makes you think
that something so detrimental to the mind and body cannot affect your skin, also? I’ve spoken to
individuals with varying skin conditions, including psoriasis and eczema, and, of course, acne. A
majority of the outbreaks suffered were preceded by a ton of stress. Did you know that stress
produces a steroid hormone called Cortisol? From what I’ve researched, if Cortisol levels
become too elevated for extended periods of time, it can prove to be far more damaging than
one is led to believe. Naturally, there will be a correlation between stress and acne. How many
of you that suffer from acne have ever noticed an increase of breakouts, say, around mid-terms
or finals? Or right before that job interview that could have changed the entire face (no pun
intended) of your career? I know it has happened to me on more than one occasion. It probably
has for you, also. Considering that I have a proclivity to emotional eating, (which always has
been brought on by stress for me) in addition to being insufferable with acne for the better part
of my life, it has proven to be nothing short of a disaster for me, and countless others, I suspect.
Now that we know the ramifications of stress and how it can encourage episodes of acne, it is of
vital importance that we learn to combat the effects of it, not only for aesthetic reasons but for
our general health. As I mentioned last week, exercise is a fantastic way to control stress. Plus,
there are a plethora of exercises to choose from that will suit virtually any preference and/or
lifestyle. I personally love power walking. I’m fortunate enough to live only a few minutes away
from the beach, and I take advantage of going on spontaneous walks on the boardwalk several
times a week, weather and climate permitting. I aim for 4 miles in one hour, although at times I
fall short. The amount of endorphins that are released is insurmountable, resulting in me feeling
renewed, refreshed, and ready to take on the next challenge. Regardless of which form of
exercise that you choose, it’s imperative that you do it and often. If perspiration poses an issue,
be sure to cleanse your face and body shortly thereafter, as to ward off clogged pores. So get
out there and get moving!
Yoga has also proven to be effective at controlling stress. I must admit that I don’t practice yoga
as consistently as I like, but I do strive to do several poses a week, depending on whichever
ailment that I may be grappling with. That’s the wondrous thing about yoga, there are poses for
practically every physical issue, from back pain and digestive problems to earaches, you name
it. There are also numerous poses that target anxiety and depression, as well. Take a wild
guess at what else yoga may be beneficial to- you guessed right if you said acne. Poses such
as hidden lotus, fish, and pranayama are said to be especially helpful. In clearing the skin.
However, if you have never done yoga before, it would be best to do the most simple of poses
to avoid possible pain and injury. If you’re certain that you’d like to start a yoga regime, it may
not be a bad idea to discuss this with your healthcare provider to learn of your limitations and
the like.
Last, but certainly not least, meditation is a great way to significantly minimize stress in your life.
It is an invaluable addition to any regime, in my opinion. There’s no right or wrong way to
meditate. As with exercise and yoga, there are countless options available to you, in terms of
how to meditate. Some individuals aim to focus on nothing while meditating, while others focus
on sounds, or repeat affirmations aloud. What it comes down to are three fundamental
components: Getting to a private and quiet place, relaxing, and focusing on your target, which is
calming your mind and spirit. I’ve done on average 10-20 minutes a day, sometimes twice a
day. Time and frequency will vary from one person to the next. However, I do know that the
longer and the more frequent you practice it, the more effective meditation will become for you.
Have you had any luck in combating stress with any of the aforementioned? If so, did you
subsequently see fewer breakouts? I’d love to know about it. Please leave your comments
below!
All the Best to you in your quest for Happier & Healthier skin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Microdermabrasion Treatment

Alternative Ways To Fight Acne

A Perspective on All This

Keeping Acne At Bay During The Summer

What About Men With Acne?